RE: 2.6.5 -- I broke the internet

> On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 08:34:55PM -0400, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
>
> > smeagol:~ 19:50:48 $ sudo ifup eth0
> > Ignoring unknown interface eth0=eth0.

<Lightbulb>
Ding!
</Lightbulb>

That's a (hotplug?) script that adds the =eth0.  So it's true, there's no
interface with 'eth0=eth0'.  I think the intent was to indicate the physical
interface for some logical interface (I would have thought that was already
accomplished with modprobe.conf and aliases, but maybe not).

Look at /etc/network/interfaces and the "mapping" option.  You just need to
tell it to ignore the mapping.  Unfortunately I can't tell you how :-(