APM, with kernel 2.4.24 for IBM R40(e)

Hello

I installed Knoppix 3.3, which comes with kernel
2.4.22-xfs on the R40. Per default apm seems to be turned off
apm -s returns
no APM support in the kernel.

Indeed as one can see in the files

modules.conf:
options apm power_off=1
and in lilo.conf
append="hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi
hdh=scsi apm=power-off nomce"

So I commented out the lines above and rebooted, with no effect
whatsover on the apm support.

Next step was to download the 2.4.24 kernel,
I run make xonfig, selected monolitic apm support,
run make dep, make bzImage and configured lilo.conf.

When booting the new kernel to my surprise
apm -s gave me the same result:

No APM support in the kernel!

In the Linux for Laptop site, people who successfully got APM to work,
used the  2.6 kernel, but I would prefer for the moment to stick on
the 2.4 kernel.

Can anybody help me?

Thanks

Uwe Brauer