Re: Dell & Debian ?

On Tuesday 20 April 2004 12:25 pm, Marcus Crafter wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 which i bought back in March last year. It's
> been running Debian sid since the day it was delivered and has been
> working well. X runs fine (I have an NVidia video card which works with
> their binary driver fine), as does sound, disk, usb1/2, pcmcia, etc.
>
> This particular machine has a 15.4" wide screen display on it, maximum
> resolution of 1920x1200. X works fine with this :)
>
> A few months ago I had suspend to disk working fine when suspending from
> the console, suspending from X had a restart issue - but I'm looking
> into that again soon with a 2.6 kernel rather than the 2.4 patched one I
> had back then.
>
> Hope that helps, feel free to ask any questions if you want more info.
>
> Cheers,

Hi James

My current laptop (like Marcus, above) is an Inspiron 8500.  No
problems ... sound, NVidia X, and networking all worked well out of the
box.

The internal 802.11g is a truemobile 1300 which initially did not work
because they seem to be ignoring Linux.

However the ndiswrapper project came to the rescue and internal 802.11g now
runs fine using the Windows NDIS driver. Its a kludge, but it works well.
Hats off to the ndiswrapper project.

I have become a strong Dell supporter over the years having owned many
machines that have all run Linux extremely well.

Steve