external touchscreens - for use on a laptop

Hi,

this is a general question concerning touchscreens and portable laptops ...
Any ideas are welcome :)

I got an old Toshiba 400 portable - with a broken screen. VGA port out still works, but I'd like to experiment a bit, and I was wondering how I could hook up a touchscreen on Debian to take over all functionality of the X interface (XMMS especially, but also things like selecting files, drag and drop files, etc)

Does anybody have any experience with :
a) hooking up a touchscreen to a Linux laptop (probably not so different from a workstation, but since it's on a laptop, I thought it relevant to ask the question here) ? b) get the main functionality working with X - as to replace the mouse in functionality ?
   c) a recommendation for a model for a touchscreen ?

Idealiter - I'd be hanging the portable on the wall with a WiFi card, with the touchscreen mounted on it instead of the broken LCD- as to be able to have a cheap and affordable audio streaming station for each room in my house (amplification etc would be handled by an external amplifier for each floor of my house - through the line-out of the portable)

Thanks in advance :)

Greetings,
Frank

--