Re: Install Report --- Dell 8200

Blars Blarson wrote:
Is there some reason you didn't use the free nv driver rather than the
non-free nvidia driver?  While not "accelerated" I find it pleanty
fast on my Inspiron 8200, even playing DVDs.  (This requires at least
Xfree86 4.2, so either sarge or a backport to woody.)  I do like the
1600x1280 screen, one of the main reasons I selected laptop.

In my case anyhow, having run ordinary stable on my 8200 for the longest time, I wasn't aware there was a non-proprietary option.

I don't need acceleration at all.

How much success have you had with power management and the free driver? I'd switch in an instant if it handled this at least equally as well.

I'm afraid that for me this is one of those cases where the practical considerations of having a working laptop have more influence than free v non-free, although not enough to send me back to windows on it.

dircha