Intermittent freeze/lockup with PCMCIA 3CCFE575CT in Toshiba Sat. Pro 460CDT

Hi all

I have what appears to be a driver/IO conflict that I would greatly
appreciate some assistance with fixing!

I have recently acquired an older laptop - a Toshiba Satellite Pro
460CDT - that I am using to learn the Debian ropes. It came with a 3COM
Dell-branded PCMCIA network adapter, model 3CCFE575CT.

I have installed Debian 3.0r2, and everything has gone perfectly. I've
got my setup nicely customised, and am enjoying myself immensely
playing with everything. There is, however, a slight problem.

The laptop will sometimes freeze or lockup when using the network. This
is intermittent, but occurs more often with a high network load. It
occurs as regularly when using X or simply on the console. I can cause
the laptop to freeze by issuing a 'ping -f ' to any host on the local
subnet (I assume it would be the same with the public Internet, but I
don't see any point in flooding someone else's network to find out).

The frustrating thing about this is that when booting to Knoppix, the
problem does not appear. I can 'ping -f' my heart out, and the laptop
remains rock solid.

I have copied the /etc/pcmcia/config.opts file from the Knoppix image
to my Debian install, but this has not resolved the issue. I have
increased the PCI Latency Timer setting (setpci -H1 -s *:*
latency_timer=64) but this has not resolved it either. I did this
because the Knoppix boot messages appeare