Re: AMD vs. Intel

also sprach Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> [2004.04.08.1434 +0200]:
> You'll have to move cards around or remove them.

So I do that until the info screen just after the BIOS shows them
all to have different IRQs?

> No. nmi_watchdog=1 means IOAPIC, nmi_watchdog=2 means LAPIC. You
> need to have the NMI Watchdog compiled into the kernel.

This is my problem. I have looked around the LAPIC stuff and in the
Watchdog section, but there is nothing about an NMI watchdog. I have
enabled the Hangcheck timer and the Software watchdog.

also sprach Johann Koenig <explosive@hvc.rr.com> [2004.04.08.1440 +0200]:
> Also, to reinforce what others have said about hard drives: its
> got an Enermax 360somethingorother that cost me about USD$55.
> I bought it after my 400w USD$20 ps went bad. Just wouldn't boot
> one morning.

I use Enermax almost everywhere.

also sprach Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> [2004.04.08.1631 +0200]:
> > I believe this is wrong. Lithium-Ion Batteries actually suffer from
> > complete discharge cycles.
>
> Any references?  This is an important topic.

Mh, I will look this up again. AFAICR, it was on the Dell website.
However, I just found this, and it makes sense:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm:
   A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles.
   The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge.
   Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible.
   Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery.
   There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges.

> If you never mucked around with anything in the northbridge, then
> you're using whatever the manufacturer thought best.  If it is
> a well designed board, and it didn't use crappy capacitors from
> some industrial pirate or black market components, that won't
> reduce its expected lifetime any further (because it is already
> computed in the expected lifetime).  If the board can handle it,
> but it is not as stable as one might want, try disabling the
> feature.  Google search for it, and "man setpci" for more details.

Thanks, I will look into this too.

I really appreciate the stuff you write, Henrique -- it gives me
confidence again, and it'll be invaluable in the archives. I wish
I knew half as much as you did about this stuff.

also sprach Roberto Sanchez <rcsanchez97@yahoo.es> [2004.04.08.1712 +0200]:
> >How? In 2.6 kernels I can't find an option...
>
> You can pass apic=off or noapic on the kernel command line.
> If you reconfigure the kernel it is in "Processor type and features
> --->  [ ] Local APIC support on uniprocessors "

As far as I understood, this is the Local APIC. Since I see nolapic
and noapic in the kernel boot parameter list, I assume they are
different, or at least one is a subset of the other. It seems
impossible to control whether APIC is used other than with the boot
parameters.

As I said, I tried all combinations of APIC, LAPIC, and ACPI. None
of them fixed the problem.

`. `'`