Re: AMD vs. Intel

I wasn't the one initiating the cross-post. Don't shoot me.

also sprach Antony Gelberg <antony@antgel.co.uk> [2004.04.08.0155 +0200]:
> Just to throw some weight behind this, this solution has worked
> for me on several Athlon / nForce servers I've built.  I just
> removed APIC from the kernel completely.

How? In 2.6 kernels I can't find an option...

also sprach Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> [2004.04.08.0244 +0200]:
> That's why you should run from the battery until it runs down at least
> once a week or so

I believe this is wrong. Lithium-Ion Batteries actually suffer from
complete discharge cycles.

> or remove the battery entirely in a half-charge state and store it
> (just remember to charge it back up before using again).

Yes, this is the best way.

also sprach Katipo <katipo@weavers-web.org> [2004.04.08.0332 +0200]:
> and that only briefly for things such as a monitor install.

Why do you need to take a machine down for a monitor install? Do you
take it down when you change the network cable too?

also sprach Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> [2004.04.08.0630 +0200]:
> Anything that gets the processor to "keep itself cool" while going
> from idle to almost-full-power as a crazed rabbit will fuck the
> entire system much sooner, and reduce the stability too.

What? So cooling is bad?

`. `'`