Re: Debian on Toshiba

Hmmm, are you using Debian 3.0r2 or testing (they're different)?

I run Debian stable on my Satellite A20.  The Trident CyberAlladin-P4
chipset used in this machine isn't supported by anything earlier than
XFree86 4.3.  This version is a lot more recent than that included in
Woody.

You will need XFree86 4.3 packages backported to Woody.  Unfortunately the apt
source I used for these packages seems to be unavailable now.  A search
on apt-get.org does yield several results, however:

http://www.apt-get.org/search.php?query=xfree86&arch%5B%5D=i386&arch%5B%5D=all

Once you have the packages installed, here's my XF86Config-4:

----------------8<--------------------
Section "Files"
#	FontPath	"unix/:7100"			# local font server
	# if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/CID"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load	"GLcore"
	Load	"bitmap"
	Load	"dbe"
	Load	"ddc"
	Load	"dri"
	Load	"extmod"
	Load	"freetype"
	Load	"glx"
	Load	"int10"
	Load	"record"
	Load	"speedo"
	Load	"type1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
	Driver		"keyboard"
	Option		"CoreKeyboard"
	Option		"XkbDisable"	"on"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Touchpad"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"CorePointer"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/mouse0"
	Option		"Buttons"		"2"
	Option		"Protocol"		"PS/2"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"External Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"CorePointer"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/mouse1"
	Option		"Buttons"		"3"
	Option		"Protocol"		"PS/2"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"false"
	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Cyber Aladdin"
	Driver		"trident"
	Option		"SWCursor"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Generic Monitor"
	HorizSync	31.5-57.0
	VertRefresh	50.0-90.0
	Option		"DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	Device		"Cyber Aladdin"
	Monitor		"Generic Monitor"
	DefaultDepth	24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		1
		Modes		"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		4
		Modes		"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		8
		Modes		"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		15
		Modes		"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		16
		Modes		"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		24
		Modes		"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier "XFree86 Configured"
	Screen		0	"Default Screen" 0 0
	InputDevice "Generic Keyboard" "CoreKeyboard"
	InputDevice "Touchpad" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
	Mode	0666