Debian Install CD doesn't recognize my hard drive

I have an old Dell Inspiron 7000. Yesterday, I downloaded (and burned) the ISO images for debian sid from March 27, 2004.

I booted directly from the cd, and hit enter at the boot prompt. I see the prompts for language, keyboard, etc., however I never see any prompts for partitioning the hard drive. After the first few prompts, which includes asking whether I want to do a cd integrity check, it drops me into a shell, and says to type "exit" to continue the installation. If I do that, it just repeats the above process.

Output from dmesg shows that /dev/hda is recognized as the hard drive (which is correct). During the "hardware detect" phase (before the cd integrity check), the only check that hangs for a bit (about 5 seconds) is the "ide-detect" phase. lsmod shows ide-detect (and ide-core, etc.) are all loaded, but apparently they still didn't detect the drive.

I googled my brains out looking for similar things, and everything that I found seemed to say that I should run fdisk or cfdisk from the shell prompt, and prepare the drive for linux. That would be great, but neither of those commands is anywhere in the tree on the ramdisk that is installed as the temporary root partition. A "find" on the CD doesn't reveal those files there either.

OK, so here's the really strange part. The laptop had a running version of Xandros Desktop 2.0 running on it, so it was already a running Debian system, with a single Linux partition on it. I wanted to play with 2.6.4 kernel, and KDE 3.2.1. Xandros installed perfectly on the same laptop (version 1.0 a year ago, then version 2.0 the two separate times that I installed it).

I then booted from a Win98 floppy. I ran FDISK and created one large DOS partition. I then booted the debian sid cd again, and again, it doesn't recognize the drive.

I'm stuck for new ideas of what to try to get the installation to proceed, and any suggestions would be very welcome!

Thanks in advance!