Re: No cpufreq interface in kernel 2.6.3?

Hello,

> > The kernel recognizes that the cpu has throttling states. So, why does
> > cpufreqd not work?
>
> acpi T-states are different from what cpufreq offers.

I see. But ACPI is required to make cpufreq work, isn't it? What about
cpudynd -- is there a fundamental difference between this program and
cpufreqd?

> Anyway, to make cpufreqd work you need to load a kernel driver for your
> cpu. Cpufreqd is not such a complex piece of software and it relies on
> the presence of a kernel driver able to do the real work.
>
> You don't say exactely which cpu carries your laptop, you should try
> the speedstep-* drivers, see in your
> /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq
>
> > Is there a way to enable the cpufreq interface without recompiling a
> > kernel? Do I have to apply the patches from ACPI4Linux (I thought that
> > they have already been integrated in the 2.6 kernels)?

The processor is an Intel Pentium M, family 6, model 9, stepping 5. I
can load speedstep-centrino.ko and speedstep-lib.ko, but not
speedstep-ich.ko and speedstep-smi.ko. Is this a problem?

With the speedstep-centrino module loaded, cpufreqd does no longer
complain about the missing cpufreq interface. (it still complains about
the format of its config file, but I should get that working)

When I try to start cpudynd, however, I still get "cpudynd: CPU
frequency control disabled", although its man page claims that it works
with kernel 2.6. Can anyone explain, why this program does not work?

> no, no need to add patches nor to recompile, simply load the right
> module at boot (or before starting cpufreqd)

Good to read this.

Thank you,

Holger