Re: No cpufreq interface in kernel 2.6.3?

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 11:49:51AM +0100, Holger Arnold wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using Debian "testing" on a Dell Latitude D800 (Pentium M). I
> installed kernel-image-2.6.3-1-686, acpi, acpid, and cpufreqd. When I
> try to start cpufreqd, I get the following message:
>
>  find_cpufreq_interface(): no cpufreq interface found.
>  Unable to find a cpufreq interface, please ensure to have cpufreq
>  enabled in the running kernel.
>
> I'm no kernel expert, but I thought that ACPI (including the cpufreq
> interface?) was included in the 2.6 kernels?
>
> The kernel configuration contains the following lines:
>
>  #
>  # CPU Frequency scaling
>  #
>  CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y

cpufreq is enabled then

[...]
>  #
>  # CPUFreq processor drivers
>  #
>  CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=m
>  # CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ_PROC_INTF is not set
>  CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K6=m
>  CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K7=m
>  CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K8=m
>  CONFIG_X86_GX_SUSPMOD=m
>  CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO=m
>  CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_ICH=m
>  CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_SMI=m
>  CONFIG_X86_P4_CLOCKMOD=m
>  CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_LIB=m
>  CONFIG_X86_LONGRUN=m
>  CONFIG_X86_LONGHAUL=m
>
> Is this sufficient to enable CPU frequency scaling? The kernel prints
> the following ACPI-related messages:
[...]
> The kernel recognizes that the cpu has throttling states. So, why does
> cpufreqd not work?

acpi T-states are different from what cpufreq offers.

Anyway, to make cpufreqd work you need to load a kernel driver for your
cpu. Cpufreqd is not such a complex piece of software and it relies on
the presence of a kernel driver able to do the real work.

You don't say exactely which cpu carries your laptop, you should try
the speedstep-* drivers, see in your
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq

> Is there a way to enable the cpufreq interface without recompiling a
> kernel? Do I have to apply the patches from ACPI4Linux (I thought that
> they have already been integrated in the 2.6 kernels)?

no, no need to add patches nor to recompile, simply load the right
module at boot (or before starting cpufreqd)

bye
--
mattia
:wq!