Re: What is ACPI, exactly?

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 09:23:44AM +0700, arief# wrote:
> Dear All,
>

> I've been tinkering around with ACPI on my T30 laptop.
> Got it works for everything that suppose to work (Thermal, Fan,
> AC/Battery, even got cpufreq just fine).
>
> I've even use iasl to dump and test compile the aml. No errors no
> warnings. So I guess, My DSDT is fine.

Maybe yes, maybe no.  Hard to tell.

> But, my head already got used to the term Power Management as a way for
> me to have (at least) suspend to work on my machine.
>
> Which, till now, I can't get ACPI to suspend nicely.
> Suspend to RAM  don't put my backlight off. I tried Suspend-to-Disk
> feature, it was nice for a couple of time. Until I realize it doesn't
> update hwclock where it should.

I guess you are using S1 for suspend to ram.  Well, S1 is 'standby', not
suspend-to-ram, and it is expected that at least for that one DPMS is
used.

> And my xfs filesystem gone mad after a while. Which bring another
> headache for me, because I put boot and root on same partition, It's not
> that easy to just xfs_repair my root partition right? Fortunately, I
> always keeps knoppix around.
>
> One other thing, what is ECDT?

Embedded Controller Description Table.  See current ACPI spec. at
http://www.acpi.info/

> I got these messages about it:
> ACPI: Could not use ECDT
>     ACPI-1120: *** Error: Method execution failed
> [\_SB_.PCI0.LPC_.FDC_._INI] (Node c12c0de0), AE_NOT_EXIST
>     ACPI-1120: *** Error: Method execution failed
> [\_SB_.PCI0.LPC_.EC__._INI] (Node c12c8be0), AE_NOT_EXIST
>     ACPI-1120: *** Error: Method execution failed

There were an ancient bug, but that should be OK now.
If that still persist, that is indication of an old BIOS, look at
http://www.poupinou.org/acpi/ibm_ecdt.html
if you need a patch to workaround this, but before be sure to have the
latest BIOS from IBM.

--
Bruno Ducrot

--  Which is worse:  ignorance or apathy?
--  Don't know.  Don't care.