Re: which process is accessing my hard drive?

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 11:22:35AM -0700, s. keeling wrote:
> Incoming from Matt Price:
> > On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 10:27:41AM -0700, s. keeling wrote:
> > > Incoming from Matt Price:

> > > I may not have your solution, but a couple of points:
> > >
> > >   - kswapd, bdflush, klogd _may_ be your problem.
> >
> > if so, what should I do?  They have such low process numbers I've
> > always thought they were all absolutely essential.  Can I mess with
> > them?
>
> _I_ would not futz with those, but there may be other ways to do this
> with tunefs (or its ilk; chattr?).
>
> > I don't really know what xfs is for -- occasionally I do work in a gui
> > on Openoffice -- since fonts were so hard to set up I'm loathe to mess
> > with them, but if in fact xfs is always unnecessary I'll just get rid
> > of it.  I just checked and the only other package apt wants to remove
> > with it is x-window-system.  Do you think that makes it safe to remove
> > it?
>
> "xfs" == "X Font Server".  It's that line in your
> /etc/X11/XF86config-4 that says, "FontPath "unix/:7100"."  If, as you
> say at the top, you don't use X, then you don't need or want xfs.  If,
> as you say here, you use OOo, then you need/want X, and may need/want
> xfs.
sorry, should have been clearer -- MOSTLY I work in the console, esp
when I want to conserve battery power; but sometimes I hook up to the
outlet and use OOo; and in fact I do occasionally NEED to do this,
e.g. this weekend when I need to go somewhere and then print a talk on
someone else's windows computer...