Re: which process is accessing my hard drive?

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 09:35, Matt Price wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I'm trying to set my (aging) laptop up for maximum power
> efficiency.  using hdparm, I set the spindown time very short, I don't
> use x, and I've gone so far as to shutdown things like cron and atd.
> Pretty much the only thing I have running is emacs (see the output of

emacs, eh?  Well, that explains it...  You must not have enough GB of
memory to keep from swapping parts of emacs in and out of swap space all
the time.  Switch to an editor that isn't so huge (like vim :o).  (OK,
if it wasn't obvious, I'm kidding.  I don't want to incur the wrath of
the church of emacs :o)

Seriously though, if you are limited on memory, and you're not running
X, I'd suggest that you not run xfs and Xprt either.

> ps, attached).  But somehow the hard drive keeps spinning back up
> spontaneously.  Who's accessing my hard drive??  I don't have the
> slightest idea how to find out, or (even better) figure out how to
> stop it from happening.

Another thought:  Are you running a journaling file system (i.e. ext3,
reiserfs, etc...)?  If so, then kjournald will be running and will
periodically write to the disk to keep its journal up to date.

Cheers!
--
Brett Johnson <brett@hp.com>
   -  i  n  v  e  n  t  -