Re: CD-Rom, sound

I actually figured out the cdrom issue. I have no /dev/cdrom for some reason, but as it boots, the cdrom is found as /dev/hdb. I added a new line to fstab that will mount hdb to the /cdrom directory. A little crude, but very effective. The kernel version I am running is 2.2.20. I believe that's the standard for 3.0, but I may be wrong. As for the modprobe command. I ran it, modprobe sb, but got no output. From what I know, that's probably a good thing, but I don't know how to get the sound stuff running from there.
--
Brian Ronk
System Administrator

Jeff wrote:
Brian Ronk, 2004-Feb-17 14:50 -0500:

First, I installed debian over the network with floppy's, as a result, I can mount the floppy and it works fine. I was trying the CD-Rom though, and when I type mount /cdrom, or the equivalent to get it to mount it I get this:
mount: special device /dev/cdrom does not exist
I can't tell what it says about the drive when it boots, it goes by to quickly. I should also mention, this is a laptop that can only have CD-Rom or floppy, one at a time.

The messages you see during boot are put in /var/log/dmesg.  View that
file to see what the kernel says about the cdrom device at boot.

What kernel are you using?

As for the sound, it just doesn't work. It could be that stuff didn't get installed for it, I'll check that to make sure. If I do have the drivers and such installed for it, how do I configure it to make sure it's working correctly?

According the this website <http://www.grnet.com/sc/linux/tp760xl/>
the Soundblaster modules should work.  Try doing a 'modprobe sb' as
root or sudo and see if it loads.  The try playing a sound.  Assuming
you're using a stock kernel, that module will be there.

jc