CD-Rom, sound

Well, my laptop has been running fine for a month or so now, and I"m starting to want to do a bit more. It's an IBM 760XL. I'm running Debian 3.0r2 woody on it. First, I installed debian over the network with floppy's, as a result, I can mount the floppy and it works fine. I was trying the CD-Rom though, and when I type mount /cdrom, or the equivalent to get it to mount it I get this:
mount: special device /dev/cdrom does not exist
I can't tell what it says about the drive when it boots, it goes by to quickly. I should also mention, this is a laptop that can only have CD-Rom or floppy, one at a time. As for the sound, it just doesn't work. It could be that stuff didn't get installed for it, I'll check that to make sure. If I do have the drivers and such installed for it, how do I configure it to make sure it's working correctly?
Thanks.
--
Brian Ronk
System Administrator