TP 390E sound garbled on resume

I've been quite happy with my Thinkpad 390E that I've had for just one
year.  About a month ago I bought a new battery and have been using the
suspend capability when transporting it.

I discovered that upon resume any audio playback is extremely garbled.
I find this with either xmms or mplayer.  When playing a video with
mplayer the audio is garbled and the video plays much slower than
normal.  Audio plays normally only after a cold reboot.

I am using the ampd package and as near as I can tell the ALSA modules
are being unloaded before suspend and reloaded on resume.  If the
modules are not unloaded then no audio can be heard at all after a
resume.  I never experience machine hangs so I think this is probably a
hardware issue.  The BIOS image is the second last version available
for the 390E series.

I am using a custom built 2.3.23 kernel and here is the APM portion of
my kernel config:

CONFIG_PM=y
CONFIG_APM=m
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
# CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE is not set
CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK=y
CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT=y
CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS=y
# CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set

#
# ACPI Support
#
# CONFIG_ACPI is not set
# CONFIG_OPTIMISE_SIZE is not set

I don't believe this machine supports ACPI, therefore I've not enabled
it.

I'll entertain any and all ideas and pointers.

- Nate >>

 Internet | n0nb@networksplus.net               | free since January 1998.
 Location | Bremen, Kansas USA EM19ov           |  "Debian, the choice of
  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  |     a GNU generation!"
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |   http://www.debian.org