Driver bug, CD drive while playing audio CD's

Greetings all,

I wonder if someone else has experienced the following, or can duplicate it.
For some time I've known that there was something strange with the CD/DVD
drive on this Dell 8600.  Early on I got the following log messages:

Type: ROM, Vendor 'PHILIPS ' Model 'DVD+RW SDVD6004 '
Revision '1.03' MMC+CDDA
index scan: 1...cdda2wav: Input/output error. play
sectors: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  47 00 00 03 26 0E 03 26 0F 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0C 00 00 00 00 15 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x15 Qual 0x00 (random positioning error) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 6.004s timeout 300s
Driver and/or firmware bug detected! Drive cannot play the very last sector!

Since this did not prevent normal operation, I ignored it.  However,
I recently encountered a fatal, repeatable problem.  When playing a
particularly long audio CD (75 minutes and 38 seconds), near the end,
the sound starts getting more and more static, and then it starts skipping,
like the pointers of a ring buffer have gotten out of sync or the drive
is being told to replay the same few seconds over and over.  At this time,
the cdplay program is totally unresponsive, the cd cannot be stopped or
ejected and the following messages appear in /var/log/messages:

kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 281,
scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
kernel: hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
kernel: hdc: DMA disabled
kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 281,
scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
kernel: SCSI host 0 abort (pid 281) timed out - resetting
kernel: SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
kernel: SCSI host 0 channel 0 reset (pid 281) timed out - trying harder
kernel: SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
kernel: hdc: ATAPI reset timed-out, status=0xd0
kernel: ide1: reset timed-out, status=0xd0
kernel: hdc: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
kernel: hdc: drive not ready for command
kernel: hdc: ATAPI reset timed-out, status=0xd0
kernel: ide1: reset timed-out, status=0xd0

The only way to stop this is to reboot the system, and sound doesn't stop
until the last second of the shutdown procedure.  Even when ALSA is shut
down, the sound continues.

The kicker here is that under windows (which is still polluting my hard
drive unfortunately), the media player plays this CD until the very end
flawlessly, no matter how much I try to trip it.

Some time ago, I read in the Dell forums that there was a firmware issue
with this particular model of CD/DVD burner, but that applied to an
earlier firmware revision.  I have seen no issues with 1.03 which is what
I have.  In any case, since it works perfectly with Windows, Dell is not
going to give me a new one...

Further details: kernel 2.4.24, ide-scsi, bios A03 (the latest).

Does anyone have any insight as to how to fix this?  Can someone confirm
the problem?  With this particular drive?  Can someone confirm that with
other drives it doesn't happen?  If it is a peculiarity of this particular
drive's firmware (for which windows obviously has a workaround), does
anyone know what it is and how to put it in? or does anyone know of a
firmware version that doesn't have this peculiarity?

I await any and all info.  Thank you all.

Augustine