automatic config of wireless when no cable is plugged

I have a Dell D600 running Debian/sid. The box is equipped with
a "3Com 11 a/b/g Wireless PC Card" in addition to the default
"Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5702 Gigabit Ethernet"

The wireless interface runs nicely at 54Mb/s using the atheros
driver extracted from the CVS server of the madwifi project:

However, I would like to have the wireless interface automatically
configured whenever the network cable is not plugged, otherwise not.

Currently, I have the ifplugd daemon installed which takes care of
my eth0, but ifplugd does not seem to notice ath0

$ cat /etc/default/ifplugd
ARGS="-q -f -u0 -d10 -w -I"

I have googled a lot to solve this issue, but without success. This
inclines me to think that this is very simple and that I have just
screwed up somewhere down the line.

All comments are appreciated.

Pål Dahle                                     Norwegian Computing Center
Research Scientist                            Gaustadalléen 23
Tel: (+47) 22 85 26 41                        P.B. 114 Blindern
Fax: (+47) 22 69 76 60                        NO-0314 Oslo