Re: Running Debian 3.0 (r0) on Acer 730S Travelmate

On 13 Jan 2004, Arnel Espanola uttered the following:

> Did anyone successfully install Debian (Woody) on Acer Laptop

Yep. Mine (a TravelMate 803 LMi6) is currently running un GNU/Linux
Debian SID.

> (specifically 730S Travelmate)? It's unable to detect the built-in
> ethernet interface on the laptop. Also, I have problem running the X

Indeed. The built-in ethernet interface is a Broadcom bcm4400 chipset:

,----[ lspci -v | grep Broadcom ]
| 02:02.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401 100Base-T (rev 01)
|         Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI]: Unknown device 001f
|         Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 64, IRQ 5
|         Memory at d0204000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
|         Capabilities: <available only to root>
`----

Unfortunately, this chipset *must* be installed manually and compiled
for your kernel:

,----[ dpkg -s bcm4400-source ]
| Package: bcm4400-source
|  This package provides the source code for the bcm4400 module provided
|  by Broadcom. You will need make-kpkg from kernel-package to be able to
|  compile modules usable with a Debian kernel.
|  .
|  Note that the Linux kernel >= 2.4.22 includes the Broadcom 4400 driver. You
|  may want to consider using the kernel driver instead.
`----

When done, just load the module as usual.

zeDek
--
Hito no kokoro wa kawareru mono