Re: noflushd: making/having drives spin down.

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 09:03:54PM -0800, Mike Mestnik wrote:
> I had not yet upgraded to test11.

2.6.1-rc2 is already out.

> , s/hdtune/hdparm/g
>
> I think I am using journalling, as it's a laptop it's more likely to suddenly loose power.  What
> dose this mean for noflushd?  Are there any links or bug reports to track?

ext3 writes to disk every 5 sec iirc, reiserfs writes every 30 seconds,
and they are bypassing the kernels buffering mechanism so noflushd has
no effect on that timing.
laptop-mode (present in kernel 2.4.23 btw) patches ext3 to use the
bdflush timings. For reiserfs you need to patch it yourself (I wrote a
patch for that if you are interested).
laptop-mode is not available for 2.6 kernels yet.