external monitor dell latitude

Hi all.
I have an external monitor (CRT) attached to my dell latitude at work. I have a
dreadful resolution of 60 MH on the CRT. Does anyone know how i can have 85 HZ
or better on the external monitor?

I have searched the web and found two settings in the "Device" part of
/etc/XF86Config-4

        Option     "crt_screen"                "1"
        Option      "extern_disp"               "true"
        Option     "crt_screen"                "true"

These setting do not work.
I have a the following card (/proc/pci)
 ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility M3 AGP 2x
Driver ati in X.

Hoping someone can help me.
Kenneth