Re: sound on a Thinkpad T40 - new info

Note that I have no particular knowledge of the T40.

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 07:29:31PM +0200, Martin Wegmann wrote:
> On Monday 15 September 2003 16:23, Martin Wegmann wrote:
> > (unknown) wrote:
> > > /etc/modutils/alsa has 'alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0'.
> >
> > anyway - I haven't tried so much yet. only
> > /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig as root and then I stopped because of the error
> > message
> > when looking at /etc/modutils/alsa it is empty. does that mean I haven't
> > configured the soundcard or installed some modules?

I'd suggest getting the sound to work by hand before using the init
scripts. I.e. (for ALSA, assuming the information posted above is
correct):

# modprobe snd-intel8x0

Then try running alsamixer to unmute the soundcard, and play a wav
with aplay. Once that works, try to get ALSA set up correctly (start
with /usr/share/doc/alsa-base/README.Debian).

> Sound server informational message:
> Error while initializing the sound driver:
> device /dev/dsp can't be opened (Permission denied)
> The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

To give a user permission to use audio, it should normally suffice to
add him to the group 'audio'. Note that /dev/dsp is an OSS device
(ALSA emulates it via snd-pcm-oss), so that may pose additional
problems.

> additionally I ran sndconfig (0.7) to configure my soundcard but did not
> suceed.

According to the package description, sndconfig is OSS-specific, so
you most likely don't want to use that.

Cheers
Robert