Re: Dell sucks [Was: best laptops for debian linux]

On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 18:02, Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:
> Quoting Magnus von Koeller <magnus@vonkoeller.de>:
> > well the one basic rule I've set up for my next purchase is this one:
> > Do NOT buy from Dell. Dell does not support Linux and actually does
> > everything to make it as difficult as possible to use. They mess with
> > the BIOS in non-standard ways so that not even the official Windows
> > drivers work anymore (only the drivers from Dell still work).
> >
> > So don't buy a Dell. If you're a Linux user, they don't care about
> > your nees as a customer. Your simply 'not supported'.
>

> Just for the record, I just bought a Dell 5150 and am running a dual-boot with
> XP Pro and Woody. I only have one major complaint: the Dell TrueMobile 1300
> wireless card isn't supported in Linux, no way, no how (until someone reverse
> engineers it).
>
> As for support, I haven't tried. There's plenty of help in the Dell-hosted user
> forums, though, and I'm sure there's more than a few linux-philes lurking around
> in there.

Magnus refers to a very specific, recent, and critical issue. Dell's new
laptop BIOS is not Linux (or rather, XFree) compatible at all. They are
also denying that there is a problem, and seem to be waffling between
claims to fix it, and claims that they don't support Linux.

Until this issue is dealt with, people wanting to run a free OS should
*not* buy Dell systems. After this issue is dealt with, it will take
Dell a long time to regain any kind of trust in many people's eyes
(including mine).
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@sacredchao.net>