Re: best laptops for debian linux

Quoting Magnus von Koeller <magnus@vonkoeller.de>:
> well the one basic rule I've set up for my next purchase is this one:
> Do NOT buy from Dell. Dell does not support Linux and actually does
> everything to make it as difficult as possible to use. They mess with
> the BIOS in non-standard ways so that not even the official Windows
> drivers work anymore (only the drivers from Dell still work).
>
> So don't buy a Dell. If you're a Linux user, they don't care about
> your nees as a customer. Your simply 'not supported'.

Just for the record, I just bought a Dell 5150 and am running a dual-boot with
XP Pro and Woody. I only have one major complaint: the Dell TrueMobile 1300
wireless card isn't supported in Linux, no way, no how (until someone reverse
engineers it).

As for support, I haven't tried. There's plenty of help in the Dell-hosted user
forums, though, and I'm sure there's more than a few linux-philes lurking around
in there.

--
Joel Konkle-Parker
Webmaster [Ballsome.com]