Re: Some help with a ASUS L2480D

Alle 19:18, lunedì 8 settembre 2003, Thomas Winischhofer ha scritto:
> Flavio wrote:
>  > 1) when starting X the display "blinks" (the same way as if it
>  > starts, is immediately killed, and started again) for trhee, four
>  > times; then it finally works. Additionally when switching from X
>  > to a console, the
>
> How do you start X? xdm? kdm? ?dm? Or startx?

He usually use kdm, but I tried also a simple X.

>  > screen remains "dirty" (a uniform red/yellow color) for a second
>  > or two before to show the console itself.
>
> That's normal I'd say.

Ok, I didn't know. I've always installed Linux on my computer only and I
havn't that beavhiour so I was worried.

>  > Video Card is a SiS 730S and Xfree is the one from woody
>  > overwriting sis driver files with a more recent version as told in
>  > the link above and in
>  > http://www.winischhofer.net/linuxsis630.shtml. I use framebuffer
>  > for console but not for X.
>
> _What_ framebuffer?

I'm not sure I've understood your question, but when compiling my kernel
I choose among others:

CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
CONFIG_FB_SIS=y
CONFIG_FB_SIS_300=y

I use frambuffer in console appending to lilo
video=sisfb:mode:1024x768x16,mem:12288
and when dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 asked me to use framebuffer I
anwsered No.
I hope I anwsered your question.

> Thomas

Many thanks,