Re: Change interface name

On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 02:55:42PM +0200, Frank Trenkamp wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > But if you really wanted to use wlan0 the just create a sym link called
> > wlan0 in /dev that points to eth0
> > Some thing like:
> >
> > cd /dev
> > ln -s eth0 wlan0
>
> uhm, that won't work. Network interfaces are created "on the fly" by the
> kernel, there are no corresponding device files in /dev .. even if eth0 is up
> and running, you will find no /dev/eth0, and most likely no wlan0 either.
>
> I have never used devfs so far, so I don't know if that makes a difference,
> but I guess not.

Yes. the devfsd userland daemon has a config file, and you can tell it
that when certain events happen to eth0 you want it to make a symlink
wlan0 -> eth0.

I'm using it in another context to make /dev/mouse -> the usb mice if
usb is found, otherwise psaux.

  . | .   Heather Stern                  |         star@starshine.org
--->*<--- Starshine Technical Services - * - consulting@starshine.org
  ' | `   Sysadmin Support and Training  |        (800) 938-4078