Change interface name

I have a WaveLAN GOLD wireless LAN card.  When I pop it into the
PCMCIA slot, it loads the orinoco, orinoco_cs, and hermes modules and
sets up eth0 and runs dhcp to get an IP config.  All is well.

I'd like to have it use wlan0 when it loads up instead of eth0 as the
interface name, but I can't find how to do that.  My google searches
haven't turned up anything that works and I haven't found anything
searching the list archive.

I've tried putting these into my /etc/modules.conf file, then run
"depmod -a", then pop in the card:

alias wlan0 orinoco|orinoco_cs|hermes  # I tried each module

But, none of them worked.  The interface still came up as eth0.

thanks,
jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer