Re: WEP problems with poldhu_cs 0.2.13 and 3Com XJack?

Thanks for the tip.  I found the problem earlier today: the card had to be put into active scan mode like:

iwpriv <ifname> set_active 1

...a few seconds AFTER the essid was set.  Using the IWPRIV env var in /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts didn't work; it was too early.  The driver reported it was in "Active mode" but that did not appear to do the trick.

Once iwpriv was, it immediately associated with the base station.  Restarting cardmgr seemingly left the card in active mode and it would still associate.  But a cardctl eject & insert cycle required another iwpriv set_active.

I put a hacky script in /etc/network/if-pre-up.d that did:

[...]
   logger "[xjackhack] DEBUG: running (sleep 5; iwpriv $IFACE set_active 1)"
   (sleep 5; iwpriv $IFACE set_active 1)&
[...]

And it works fine.  I toyed with the idea of patching poldhu.c to take an additional module parameter to drive the active probing.  Not sure what the right approach to this problem is (though the above if-pre-up.d script certainly isn't the right one).

Any suggestions?

Martin