Flickering terminal after upgrade

I cannot safely pin down the problem here.  I just installed a new kernel on my machine (2.4.18) and downloaded the latest drivers from NVidia (4349 for NVIDIA GeForce2 Go 100).  My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 2650.  I'm using Woody 3.0r1.

In any case, I now boot into KDE, but whenever I exit (like at shutdown), or if I just have the terminal without X running, there is quite a bit of flickering to the screen.  Does anyone have any insight into what could be causing this.

I also see a thin line of video garble at the top of the screen when I log out of KDE.  It clears up when I get the Login screen, but I have to suspect that it is caused by the same problem.

Basically, at this point it isn't causing any problems, but it still worries me.

Thanx,
msd

"It's a little sobering. When you're training for this, you joke about, you can't wait for the real thing. Then when you see it, when you see the real thing, you never want to see it again."
- CAPT. SAL AGUILAR, after a battle near Baghdad.