General BIOS Problems? Re: TP 600e - High Pitch Noise, and other problems

Has anyone had problems with isa devices not getting setup
properly lately?  I am having a terrible problem that
seemed to coincide with me trying ACPI and a HD crash..

I had a harddrive crash sometime ago, and reinstalled with
a KNOPPIX JP ISO available and had started using a ACPI
kernel I compilled after the install.  Since I haven't
been able to make serial, cs4236 and others available?

I've used various irq/iomem combinatins set with PS2 in
Dos (from safe console boot under win98J) and with
quickboot on and off, as well as combinations of
initializations of BIOS with no luck.

I'm at a loss at this point.  Everything was hunky dory
before, and after reinstall all the ISA ports are munged..
 PCMCIA, video, USB all work fine..

I've tried various 2.4 kernels (with AC and other patches)
as well as 2.5 (tried 66 and 67 recently but had other
compile issues with those kernels).

Anyone have suggestions?  Got some configs to pass to
lspnp maybe?

I'm thinking to just wipe the drive wth the woody 3.0rc1
as the Knoppix has some peculiarities I don't like.
Wonder if that will help.. ug..

 --- Lester Cheung <lcheung@bigpond.net.au> からのメッセ
ージ:
> TP 600e does not work well with ACPI under Linux
> from my experience.
>
> If anyway got it to work, I'd like to know.
>

> On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 11:21:12AM +0200, Albert
> Dengg wrote:
> > On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 04:56:04 -0800
> > "Brandon Philips" <brandon@uncompiled.com> wrote:

> > > 	*The Harddrive spins up and down without reason
> (I am running
> > > 	NoFlushd w/
> > > 15min)
> >
> > well, I don't know about your other problems, but
> if you are running the
> > standard kernel, you are most probably running
> apm, while windows runs
> > acpi normally. When running apm, the bios handles
> power managment
> > (although you can do some things by hand, like
> spinning down
> > explicitly)...so, could it be that you activated
> some function in the
> > bios to do that?
> >

> > I hope it helps...
> >
> > mfg Albert
> >

> > --
> listmaster@lists.debian.org
> >

> --
> Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint
> attachments.
> See
> http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
>
> -lestercheung