Re: can't restore from suspend

From: "Emma Jane Hogbin" <emmajane@xtrinsic.com>

> On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 01:53:36PM -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > That would be because it isn't part of the user's interface to ACPI.  How
are
> > you _getting_ to S3?
>
> This is the problem. I have absolutely no idea! I haven't configured
> anything, it just does it. I know that S3 is the problem because I
> manually typed in each of the Sx states until I got to the one that froze
> my machine. I used:

I think you have leapt to a conclusion unsupported by facts :-)  You have
proved, to my satisfaction, that S3 doesn't work.  However, I don't believe
you've proved that you are IN S3 when your system hangs at other times.

> cd /proc/acpi
> echo 1 > sleep
> (nothing)
> echo 2 > sleep
> (nothing)

That's normal. I've never come across a system that did S2.

> echo 3 > sleep
> (frozen)

This still looks strange - I've never heard of a system that will go into S3 but
not S1.
This is why I suggest that the acpi support list is more appropriate - anyone
who responds there will actually understand ACPI :-)

> I'm already subscribed but I'm not even sure if my question is for them
> yet. I was hoping their list would be a little higher volume and that
> someone else would ask first. ;)

Not much chance of that.  It IS a very low volume list, but the people (besides
me) who might respond there are mostly ACPI developers who understand it very
well.

I've got more thoughts, but I'll respond in-thread...