Re: 2.4 kernel on Compaq Presario 2100 - Solved

Bob Hilliard <hilliard@debian.org> writes:

>           I am trying to get sid set up on a new Compaq Presario 2100
> laptop.  I have successfully installed from a woody CD, using the
> 2.2.20-idepci kernel.  However, all the kernel patches I am aware of
> for ACPI and the built-in modem are for 2.4 kernels.  Since there are
> no serial ports on the machine, I must use USB peripherals, and,
> USB support is much better in the 2.4 kernels.
>
>      I have compiled and installed 2.4.18 and 2.4.20 kernels several
> times, but the keyboard or the key mapping is screwed up.  Sometimes,
> when I type my login `bob', it appears as `b[Cb'.  About half of the
> keys produce similar characters - some like `[C' for `o', others like
> `[2~' for `'m'.  The backspace and several other key produce
> `keyboard: unknown scancode e0 30'.  Other times the keyboard is
> completely non-responsive.

     "magne rolandsen" <magne_r@tiscali.no> reported a similar problem
with an HP pavilion ze5244, and a similar problem was reported by
Olivier J. A. Dameron" <o.dameron@wanadoo.fr>.

     Olivier has pointed me to
http://sole.infis.univ.trieste.it/~drzeus/presario2120ea.html, which
advises disabling the "Legacy USB Support" option in the Bios.  This
seems to solve the problem.

     I have understood legacy devices to refer to old hardware,
specifically serial and parallel ports, and thought USB was the
opposite of "Legacy".  What would "Legacy USB Support" mean?  Does
disabling it disable the USB ports?  (I don't yet have any USB
devices, so I can't check this.)

Regards,

Bob
--