Re: Sendmail doing reverse lookups in various networks

In article <[🔎] 20030415174021.GC22881@inf.fu-berlin.de>
gottwald@inf.fu-berlin.de writes:
>When a mail is submitted by calling "/usr/sbin/sendmail", the
>following happens: Sendmail does a reverse lookup and uses the
>returned hostname to change the envelope and mail header
>addresses from addresses consisting of only a username (like
>"marcus") to ones like "marcus@returned.hostname".
>
>For one thing, I don't like any programm fiddling around in my
>mail headers, but the worse thing is that my notebook computer
>won't accept the mail right afterwards because it is not
>configured to receive mail for any possible
>"marcus@dhcp934576.some-employer.com" recipient. This is very
>annoying since e.g. cron job outputs will not be cleanly
>delivered.

Edit your /etc/mail/sendmail.mc file and add

MASQUERADE_AS(your.domain)dnl

with the domain you want appended to your username rather than
your.domain.

Add

Cw your.domain

if you want to accept mail for your.domain.

If you don't want the domain appended on local email, remove the

FEATURE(always_add_domain)dnl

line.

After editing the file, cd /etc/mail, run make, and restart sendmail.

--
Blars Blarson			blarson@blars.org
				http://www.blars.org/blars.html