Re: Mobile modems

Am 14:34 2003-03-26 +0000 hat Andy Swallow geschrieben:

>Quick question:
>
>Does anybody know much about using a mobile phone as a modem for a laptop?
Is
>the whole subject something of a minefield? Is it only realistically
possible
>with Windows? Any pros/cons that I should be aware of?
>
>Andy

What Do you mean wit 'Mobile modems' ???

The GSM's ???

If yes, Iam using a NOKIA CardPhone v2 (bi-Bamd with HSCSD 38400Bps)
But please note, that not all Mobil-Phone-Provider support HSCSD and
you will have onlx 9600/14400 Bps.

In germany I can use all 4 Channels with Compression and I pay only
10 cents per Minute...

Sending FAX does work too. Receiving works only with a second telephone
number.

If you have not so much traffic Please ask your mobil-Phone-Provider
which Band (900/1800/19000) it supports. If 900MHz, you can find a very
cheep NOKIA CardPhone v1 on <http://www.ebay.com/> which support only
9600 Bps.

Please note, that I have a mobile Buro (in a MotorCaravan) with a whole
Network and an Access-Server with 4 PCMCIA-Adapters and 4 NOKIA Card-
Phones v2...

Baseprice is around 15 Euros for each Mobil-PhoneCard incl. second
Telephone-Number (e-Plus at Victorvox/Vodaphone Germany)

Oh yes, I use only the Nokia CardPhones v1 and v2 and the most powerful
Mobil-Telephone Siemens S40 (tri-Band which works in the USA too).

I hope this Helps
Michelle

--
Registered Linux-User #280138 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org.
| Michelle's Internet-Service                    Inh.  Michelle Konzack    |