Install on HP Pavilion ze5170

I'm having trouble installing Woody on this computer. If I use disk 1 to boot
from everything goes fine until the base system is installed and I reboot. It
starts to boot scrolling normally until it gets past the disk check then the
penquin changes colors and it starts scrolling really fast and never comes
out of it.
If I boot from disk 5 (bf24) it locks up at the language choice screen.
The same thing happens if I use disk 1 and type in bf24 at the boot prompt.

Sorry for the poor discriptions but I'm a newbie and don't know the technical
terms yet.

Has anyone been successful installing debian on this model? And if so how did
you do it?

I've used the same disks to install on another machine without problems so I
know the disks are good.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jay