Re: New errors after kernel compile

Helo, Roberto.

>| On Thu, 2003-04-10 at 20:13, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
>| > I just downloaded the source for 2.4.20 and compiled it.  I was
[..]
>| > Local APIC disabled by BIOS -- reenabling.
>| > Could not enable APIC!
APIC for single-processor boards is enabled in the kernel, however not
supported by all BIOSes. --> /usr/src/kernel-source-blah/Documentation/i386
(?) /IO-APIC.txt
>| > Redundant entry in serial pci_table.  Please send the output of
>| > lspci -vv, this message (115d,00d4,8086,2411)
>| > and the manufacturer and name of serial board or modem board
>| > to serial-pci-info@lists.sourceforge.net.
>| > register_serial(): autoconfig failed
? never seen before. Does your Modem / serial Printer / serial whatelse work
? PErhaps you follow the suggestion.
>| > Apr 10 19:02:32 localhost xfs: ignoring font path element
>| > /usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic/ (unreadable)
>| > Apr 10 19:02:34 localhost xfs-xtt: ignoring font path element
The local fontserver. as i learned the last week, you need only one of them,
xfs or xfs-xtt. You can purge the other. Recommend xtt for better truetype
capabilities. Don't forget to adaqpt the entries in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and
lookup /etc/X11/fs-xtt/config. In bokarrottop [Freitag, 11. April 2003 08:01]:
>| If you go to a terminal and view the file (as root) /var/log/syslog and
>| maybe running the command "dmesg" you may find the log of the error
>| messgages you are getting and get on your way to solving them.
>|th, check the pathes; those that are listed 'unreadable' you can comment
out (#) if you don't like the log messages. But be aware of that when
changing your configuration ....you may decide to use the defoma fontmanager
in future; or let go the fontservers for XFree's inbuilt capabilitites...

>| > Apr 10 19:02:33 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
>| > char-major-203 (this one appears several times)
Don't have that module here... probably it'S listed in your /etc/modules.conf.
Sometimes modules are modprobed that are requested from a software that isn't
aware of that modules compiled into the kernel. Usually no problem, then.

>| > MSN 8 helps eliminate e-mail viruses. Get 2 months FREE*.
You know what the msn engine is ?
I would care for that before the other things here.

                          micha.