ThinkPad A31 Too Slow

Greetings:

A couple of months ago I bought a ThinkPad A 31, it's one of IBM's high
end models, with a 1.8 Ghz Pentium4 M, and 256 MB of DDR RAM. However I
am not quite happy with the performance that I am getting out of this
system.

The system's performance can't even compete with my desktop system,
which is a Pentium III 600 Mhz with 128 MB SDRAM. This is my first
notebook computer, before this I never owned a notebook, so I don't
know, weather it is common for laptops to be so slow or not.

I have never used any other OS on my laptop, other than Debian, so I
don't know how the performance would be, using other distros, or other
OSes. However it seems strange to me, that my laptop system is so slow.

I have heard that Debian's default installation, is a safe one, which
doesn't take advantage of many of the system's bells and whistles. I
wonder, are there any things that I can do to somehow tweak my system,
and make it faster? It seems to me that I am not getting the most out
of my system.

Cheers
--
/* My name is Jehovah. I have a special plan to save the universe, but
because of heavenly security reasons I can't tell you what that plan