Re: Wireless problems, orinoco chipset

I didn't receive your warning message but I did find when configuring wireless
access that my card refused to accept the essid from the command line,
although it does accept essid when specified in the configuration files.  The
only problem I have now is that the connection does not come up properly on
boot, but does when I restart the network.  When I get a chance to look at
the logs I suspect this will be simply solved.

I'd recommend you put the essid and other details in your network
configuration and restart the network.  Hopefully this will solve your
problem.

regards.

Darryl Barlow

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 8:36 pm, ben wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am having a little dificulty setting up my wireless network under Debian
> woody kernel 2.4.18bf (Ithink!)
>
> when i run iwconfig i get this reply:
>
> Warning: Driver for device eth1 has been compiled with version 12
> of Wireless Extension, while this program is using version 15.
> Some things may be broken...
>
> eth1      IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:""  Nickname:"HERMES I"
>           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.422GHz  Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00
>           Bit Rate:11Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   Sensitivity:1/3
>           Retry limit:4   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>           Encryption key:off
>           Power Management:off
>           Link Quality:0/92  Signal level:134/153  Noise level:134/153
>           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>           Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
> whatever is broken is stopping me from putting in my ESSID, not sure about
> other things, I know i can still set my Mode.
>
> how do I go about changing the driver for version 15? or vice versa, how do
> I go about changing iwconfig back to version 12?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ben Southwood

Darryl Barlow and Company         Tel: 61 2 9580 3444
Level 3, 34 MacMahon Street,      Fax: 61 2 9580 7711
Hurstville NSW Australia 2220     Email: darrylb@iprimus.com.au

Postal Address: P.O. Box 360, Hurstville B.C. NSW Australia 1481

LIABILITY IS LIMITED BY THE SOLICITORS SCHEME APPROVED UNDER THE
PROFESSIONAL STANDARDS ACT 1994 (NSW)

THIS EMAIL IS INTENDED ONLY FOR A PARTICULAR RECIPIENT AND MAY
CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATIONS. IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED
RECIPIENT PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO MAKE ANY USE
OF IT. YOU SHOULD DELETE IT IMMEDIATELY. WE WOULD ALSO APPRECIATE
IT IF YOU WOULD NOTIFY US THAT YOU RECEIVED IT AND CONFIRM ITS
DESTRUCTION.