Re: Confused... Linux Kernel 2.4.20 on Gericom Bellagio

In article <[🔎] 3E93345A.9060603@gmx.net> bane@gmx.net writes:
>I've installed Debian on my Laptop (Bellagio Gericom) some time ago with
>2.4.18-bf2.4 and now tried to compile my own kernel. Easy thing to
>compile, but not to boot.

If you are using the standard debian kernel-source package, it does not
contain the .config file for your running kernel.  That is in /boot,
renamed to config-whatever.

I recomend the following steps:

Try a standard, non-bf, debian 2.4 kernel.  Remember to add the initrd
to your lilo.conf.  (And make sure to have an alternate boot of your
working kernel.  I leave a bf entry in lilo for this.)

When that works, copy the /boot/config file to your kernel source area
and rename it to .config .  Use make-kpkg with like this:
fakeroot make-kpkg clean
fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version test --initrd kernel-image

Install the package, again making sure to have the initrd options on
the appropriate lilo stanzas and rerun lilo.

Once you have this working, you can start playing with make menuconfig
and changeing kernel options.

--
Blars Blarson			blarson@blars.org
				http://www.blars.org/blars.html