Re: Confused... Linux Kernel 2.4.20 on Gericom Bellagio

Usually it means that you have wrong root partition. Try correct
root=/dev/hd... boot parameter.

Pavel

Marcus Ancillius Schwertmann wrote:

I've installed Debian on my Laptop (Bellagio Gericom) some time ago with 2.4.18-bf2.4 and now tried to compile my own kernel. Easy thing to compile, but not to boot. I did anything. I used make oldconfig, used to knoppix-2.4.20 Kernel config used my own settings. All the same problem: While booting 2.4.20 tries to mount my root file-system (/) it calls e2fsck and this reports an error: Unalbe to mount root fs ..... possible no ext2 fs... if it is try mounting with a different superblock 8192 (if i remember right). Strange thing is, with the old kernel it works. cfdisk does report EXT2 (running under the 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel of course). And mounting with different superblock does not help a thing. It returns the same error... Ah and EXT2 is of course installed in the kernel (well as said, i used make oldconfig, too and knoppix does have ext2 compiled in and my own settings of course too) I do not know what I could do. I've compiled severel Kernels with the same FXs. HELP

Greeting
Nils