Re: compiling pcmcia-cs under 2.5

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 09:28:37 +0200
Alex Polite <m2@plusseven.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 08:28:49PM -0400, Kevin McKinley wrote:
>
> > Why do you believe pcmcia-cs configuration has changed?
> >

>     pcmcia howto> The kernel PCMCIA code has the same functionality as
>     pcmcia howto> the driver side of the pcmcia-cs package. It does
>     pcmcia howto> not eliminate the need to install the pcmcia-cs
>     pcmcia howto> package, since it requires the same user tools
>     pcmcia howto> (cardmgr, cardctl, /etc/pcmcia/* files). The drivers
>     pcmcia howto> in pcmcia-cs can still be built for 2.4 kernels, so
>     pcmcia howto> you have a choice of using either the in-kernel
>     pcmcia howto> PCMCIA drivers, or the drivers included in
>     pcmcia howto> pcmcia-cs. With 2.5 and later kernels, the
>     pcmcia howto> standalone drivers cannot be used.

Thanks for posting that. It looks like the kernel interface for pcmcia has
changed in some way; I don't know about that. The pcmcia-cs configuration is
still the same.

It looks like 2.4 was the transition period for pcmcia. IIRC there weren't
any pcmcia drivers in the 2.2 source tree (when 2.2 was the latest stable
series). In 2.4 the pcmcia-cs drivers started appearing in the kernel tree.
In 2.6 there won't be any separate drivers.

This sounds like progress.

Kevin