Re: KDE3 + noflushd + call for comments

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Gabor FLEISCHER wrote:

> Is there anyone who succeeded with KDE3, noflushd?

I don't run KDE3, but...

> I could set up my system to spin down the disks when I don't run KDE.
> But with KDE it always has some disk usage. I was searching in google, and I
> saw other people had the same problem about a year ago, but nobody had any
> answer.

Try turning off atime in the mount options for all your ext2 partitions
(you are not runnign ext3 or other journalling fs's are you?)

HOWEVER:

I think if you are running kernel 2.4, there might be a rather serious
flaw with noflushd. See for details:

I wouldn't mind knowing whether there are any people out there who are
*not* experiencing this problem (ie, you must be running applications
that use pthreads), so I can understand what might be wrong?

       *  *             It's:           "SPLAT - MY CAT!"
     -//-//-_
   +>\        --__      Slower than a speeding DATSUN 180B.   Much slower.
   +>/       _------__  Mortally slower, one might say.    Rest in Pieces.
     -\\-\\--
       *  *