Re: Libretto 100ct Install-Disks

On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 07:15:36PM +0200, Johan Romin wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > I searched the net for 2 hours to find anyone who has installed a debian
> > linux on a Libretto 100ct, just using a set of floppys. The result is, that one
> > guy managed it but serveral guys not. So here is my question: Is there a set
> > of floppys available to start the installation on a libretto ? The known
> > problem is the PCMCIA-Bridge used in the libretto, that shouldn't work, after
> > reading the first disc.
> There is no install discs with support for the libretto floppydrive that
> I know of, I solved the problem by using dos fdisk and split my disk in
> desired partions, and using the swap partion for temporary storage of
> the debian base system, and once I had everything up and running
> reformated that partion as a linux swap.
>
> One might make install discs if you patched a pcmcia based floppy
> install disc with the patch for using the pcmcia floppy drive for
> librettos. But I haven't tested that so I don't know if it would work..

I have to admit that the way I've dealt with all my libretto-using pals
and clients so far was to ( -=* VERY CAREFFULLY *-- ) take open the
keyboard area, take out the drive, and mount it in another system, then
perform magic.

It has been a while since I explicitly dealt with a 100 so I don't
remember if it was the model that refused to go on with life if it
didn't have room to stash a hibernation space.  Not that you mind :D

In case of all boot disasters, make sure that your first volume still
uses DOS, contains your dos-based diagnostics, and has loadlin.  There
are instructions at the tomsrtbt site for using loadlin to boot into
his stuff - get that set up, and you'll have a linux rescue environment
available regardless of that crazy pcmcia  controller.

Base off of harddisk space is a very nice compromise and much faster for
people who don't feel inclined to get out photonlights and jewler's
screwdrivers.

Lastly, if you do want to take your libretto apart, or any smaller-model
laptop, I recommend a clean white sheet over your work area,  Little
screws are much easier to spot on this.  The ends of a cloth can be
pulled up, too.  Second best is a light desk drawer, so the parts stay
inside it, but beware of especially tiny parts (springs, and teeny tiny
washers) trying to get stuck in corners.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...
                * Starshine Technical Services -*- 800 938 4078