Re: Serious crash

"Frank Trenkamp" <ftrenkam@rz.uni-osnabrueck.de> writes:
> > Maybe the (upgraded) amount of RAM doesn't fir to the existing partition size
> > (no more). Then it would overwrite some Megs. No wonder fsck is slightly
> > overcharged.
>
> Unlikely. IIRC, the machine was a Dell laptop. If system memory + vga card
> memory + some little extra space (a few megs) exceeds the formerly
> chosen size for the suspend-2-disk partition, the Dell machines' BIOS-es
> refuse to suspend on pressing Fn+A.
>
> Well, it does on my box. Otherwise your BIOS may be considered as badly
> broken. ;)

Thanks for all the replies!

It does indeed seem to be a problem with suspend and so I just
disabled that in the BIOS as another respondent suggested. It was not
a suspend-to-disk issue because it had only been on battery power for
a couple of hours (S2D time in BIOS was 8 hours) and had plenty of
battery life left.

In fact, after I got Debian reinstalled, I manually went into suspend
mode and it simply refuses to come out again, or rather it appears to
start to awaken, but immediately reenters suspend mode, and I'm forced
to power cycle. I don't know why it does this, but since I know what
causes it I can just avoid the problem, hopefully, by disabling the
suspend functionality altogether. Not a huge issue for me since I only
use it on battery power for 1 or 2 hour periods at most.

And, for the record, it is a Dell. Latitude C840.

Thanks again.
Gary