ACPI blanks screen at the end of the boot process

Hi,

  I compiled 2.4.20 with all ACPI questions answered yes, powermgmt yes and
apm no.

  When booting all looks nice until the very ned. Network seems to be up, at
least the boot process is past dhcp, but I haven't seen any x-stuff yet and
then the console blanks and nothing happens anymore. It does not respond to
CTRL+ALT+BS and CTRL+ALT+F1 and CTRL+F7.

  When compiling with apm and acpi all off, the machine works fine.

  When compiling with acpi off and apm on, the machine works fine and does
even suspend when closing the lid. So a) Any idea, why acpi does blank my
screen and b) what are the reasons to switch to acpi? Afaik suspend wouldn't work
with acpi, would it?

  I am using a Samsung Q10.

Cheers,
Mariano