Re: USB mouse not working in woody2.4

Hello Ben,

> but lsmod shows:

> usbmouse 1760 0 (unused)
> hid 18816 0 (unused)
> keybdev 1664 0 (unused)
> usbkbd 2848 0 (unused)
> input 3072 0 [usbmouse hid keybdev usbkbd]
> usb-uhci 20708 0 (unused)
> usbcore 48032 0 [usbmouse hid usbkbd usb-uhci]

I'm missing module "mousedev" here. And where do "usbmouse" and "usbkbd" come
from? Are you using basic keyboard and usbmouse
support (USB HIDBP (Keyboard|Mouse) (basic) support) in your kernel
configuration? The kernel docs warn against that ..

Maybe you should try:

<M>   USB Human Interface Device (full HID) support
[*]     HID input layer support

Check if you have also configured "Mouse support" under "Input core support".

Module load order seems to matter, on a Dell 81K it gets loaded in the
following order:

[snippet from /etc/modutils/actions:]
..
post-install usbcore insmod usb-uhci
post-install usb-uhci insmod input
post-install input insmod hid
post-install hid insmod mousedev
..

Don't forget update-modutils when changing files in /etc/modutils.

and that gives:
[lsmod output]
..
mousedev                3832   1
hid                    12840   0  (unused)
input                   3328   0  [mousedev hid]
usb-uhci               22092   0  (unused)
usbcore                57312   1  [hid usb-uhci]
..

Don't ask me why "hid" and "usb-uhci" appear as unused, unloading them
manually disables my USB mouse, so .. ;)

XFree86Config-4 snippet:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "USB Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Name"                  "AutoDetected"
        Option          "Protocol"              "IMPS/2"
        Option          "Vendor"                "AutoDetected"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

>I tried: /etc/init.d/gpm stop as suggested here:
>http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12780&highlight=debian+usb+mouse
>which returned:
>bash: /etc/init.d/gpm: no such file or directory

Looks like no gpm installed. ;)

Regards,
  Frank
 Frank Trenkamp                            ftrenkam at uos.de
 PGP fprt: 5A0C 4AE9 74A5 51F0 2D34  E7DC 67FF 32C4 0357 5653