Re: fonts in netscape

Hi Praveen,

"Praveen Kallakuri" <praveen@unlserve.unl.edu> writes:

> i noticed something strange today.
> i had my display manager as gdm for a while. somehow i thought it was
> slow. therefore i switched to xdm. and now everything in netscape (except
> the message body) is big. i reverted to gdm and i got back my normal
> fonts. i cannot understand how changing the dm changes font-size in apps.
> can someone explain and perhaps also tell me a way to reduce font-size in
> netscape?

it can, if they set different dpi (dots per inch) values when they call X.
This is set by a command line option, for example for startx/xinit
in /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc (see Karl's message for xdm/gdm):

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/bin/X11/X -nolisten tcp -dpi 90

90dpi is for a 14" 1024x768 LCD, typical defaults are 75dpi and 100dpi.

Hope this helps

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>