Serious crash

The other day I had a serious problem with my Debian laptop. I rarely
run it on batteries but a couple of days ago I did just that. After it
had been idle for around 2 hours I went to try and use it. No response
to any keys, so I powered it down. When it came back up the Debian
partition was totally corrupted. I must've let fsck run for 20 or 30
minutes before I finally decided it wasn't going to be useable even
if the fsck ever finished. So I reinstalled.

Has anyone ever seen this happen? My only vague suspicion is that it
tried to do a suspend-to-disk, or something similar, and that
corrupted my disk. Either that or I wasn't patient enough to wait
until it resumed from such a suspend (I probably waited about a minute
or so before I powered it down).

The laptop is a Dell Latitude C840 and the partition type was ext3. It
was running a mixed testing/unstable version of Debian. I'd really
like to avoid a repeat of that problem, so if anyone knows what could
cause such an occurance I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks,
Gary